Plato's Academy at Athens Defies Duce in Message

The University has recently received the following communication from the Academy of Athens, addressed to leading universities and academies throughout the world. The letter is signed by Marines Geroulanes, president and Georgies Soterion, vice-president, of the Academy of Athens. The text of the letter follows:

"The Academy of Athens To All the Academies in the World.

"From the sacred city where the oldest Academy in the world was born, that Academy from which sprang both the form and the name of academy and where its founder, the divine Plate, united learning and humanity and transmitted them throughout the world, the reborn Academy of Athens protests to the whole world of learning, of the arts, and of the spirit against the unjust and inhuman con- spiracy aimed at the freedom and the independence of the land which nourished the entire world through the beginnings of the loftiest humanity and was the first spiritual mother even of the ungrateful invader.

"The Academy of Athens, overwhelmed by such a return for their bringing up, denounces the matricide to the world of the spirit which still maintains the lofty teachings of the Hellenic heritage in the whole inhabited world and proclaims that Greece, small in extent but marvellous in spiritual power, will show in this undeclared war the power of unlimited justice and freedom.