Varsity Defeats Elis in Squash; Yale Sextet Downs Crimson 8-2

WILLETTS AND STEDMAN SCORE AS BLUE REPEATS TRIUMPH

By John C. Bullard

Yale's talented hockey team concluded the Crimson's season in decisive style Saturday night in the Boston Garden when it administered a thumping 8 to 2 setback to the Harvard six. A week previous in New Haven the Elis had done the same thing by an identical score.

In the preliminary events, played in the afternoon, Harvard gained an even break by winning the Freshman game, 6 to 4, and losing the Jayvee encounter, 5 to 3.

Willetts Scores First

For about the first ten minutes of the varsity game it looked as if the Crimson might be on the way to an upset. Captain Pren Willetts took the puck from scrimmage, hesitated a split second, and fired a low shot past the Eli goaler, Cord Meyer, into the corner of the cage.

Although Yale went on to tie it up, Harvard looked good in the opening minutes, carrying the fight to Yale territory and missing several "sure" goals. At one point Bob Cox maneuvered Meyer out of the cage, only to have his shot hit the pipe and bounce outside.

Thirty Awful Seconds

With the score tied at 1 to 1 Ayres was banished for checking in the center zone, and this proved to be Harvard's undoing. The Eli's first line of McLen, Carton, and Hazen passed Bob Kayser, three times inside of thirty seconds to sew up the game. Harvard's defense was utterly unable to cope with the stick-handling and skating ability of these three when short-handed, and Kayser was at the mercy of the swift Blue forwards.

Bill Stedman scored the second Harvard goal on a nice pass from Caleb Loring late in the last period when Yale was ahead 6 to 1, but twice in the last three minutes the visitors broke away to add to their totals, thus duplicating the New Haven debacle and humbling Harvard more completely than any other Eli team in history