English, Government Departments Lose Houghton, Pettee by Tenure

Unrenewed Contracts To Expire Next Fall

Walter E. Houghton, assistant professor in History and Literature, and George S. Pettee '26, faculty instructor in Government, have failed to secure renewed appointments, and will not return to teach here next fall.

The dismissal of Houghton and Pettee came as a result of the same provisions of the tenure system which cut John M. Potter, assistant professor in History and Literature from the faculty lists for 1942.

Houghton, who graduated from Yale, and took his Ph.D. here, is an authority on seventeenth century English Literature, and his departure will leave that branch of the English Department extremely shorthanded. Popular with his tutees, Houghton is the author of a book on Walter Fuller, an eighteenth century writer.

Also popular is Pettee, who has made a special study of revolutions, and has written a book called: "The Process of Revoluiton." In it, he sought a formula for the differentiation of superficial and merely political over-turns, and "grand" or cultural revolutions.

The current idea that Nazism is a world revoultion was advanced long ago by Pettee in a number of articles and in recent discussions, he has suggested that the present conflict is a revolution against the Western state system. In Government 3, a course in which he collaborates with William Y. Elliott, professor of Government, Pettee emphasizes the oneness of a culture and the nature of social upheaval. His opposition to military intervention in World War II has been forthright and pronounced.

Included on the list of non-returning faculty members in Russell A. Nixon '39, tutor in the Department of Economics, who gave up his position at Harvard for a permanent defense job in Washington, after he had failed to receive an appointment for next year.