Spread of PBH Idea Planned by Colleges

Thirty Delegates Confer on Common Problems of Serving Communities

Thirty delegates from eleven men's and women's colleges in the northeastern area assembled at the Phillips Brooks House Social Service Conference Saturday, and initiated a movement to spread the community service idea throughout the country.

For the present, it was decided to write socially-minded groups or Christian Associations in various colleges to find out their needs for volunteer workers and to find what opportunities they have for serving their communities. P. B. H. was selected as the distribution center for correspondence in view of its well-developed facilities.

If these groups should show willingness to follow up a social work program, the executive committee of the eleven college operating through P. B. H. would communicate further with the student government, explaining to them how the system has worked at Harvard and encouraging them to finance and otherwise support a community council within their respective colleges.

The confrerees hoped to supplement letter-writing with personal contact, and planned to extend their efforts towards the West next fall if the present set-up is successful.

Saturday morning, the second object of the conference, an instructive interchange of ideas, was carried out in three panel discussions on group education and tutoring, speaking and entertainment, and graduate housing and summer jobs.