STUDENTS TO FIGHT BUDGET CUT TONIGHT

GROUP HOPES FOR AID OF FACULTY MEMBERS

Encouraged by Faculty blessings, both public and private, over 40 student representatives of all fields of concentration will assemble tonight at 8 o'clock in the Kirkland House Common Room to discussing impending budget cuts.

Interest has been mobilized by the newly organized Council of History and Literature Concentrators, under Robert Seidman '41, and by the Harvard Student Union, whose president is David Bennett '42. Both will speak at the meeting, open to all students, which will culminate in the creation of a committee representing a variety of departments, and if possible both student and Faculty personnel.

Endorsing the action are Gordon W. Allport '13, associate professor of Psychology, and Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics. In statements last night Allport commended "the alert interest of undergraduates in the educational implications of the proposed budget cut," while Furry asserted that "Students have a natural interest in the subject and a perfect right to discuss it."

Keynote of the meeting is a plea by the sponsors for free and open expression of the points of view of the student body, the teaching staff, and the financial authorities. Emphasis has been placed on the admitted lack of student understanding of the problems involved, but it is felt that undergraduates ought to have access to fuller information and to a larger share in the reaching of decisions "which concern them so directly."