Students Establish Permanent Committee To Study Substitutes For Budget Slash

DRIVE PLANNED TO SET UP COUNCILS OF CONCENTRATORS IN EVERY FIELD

Prompted by criticisms of the recent 10 per cent budget cut as an "arbitrary" measure taken without adequate exploration of alternatives, a meeting of some fifty students, called together by the Student Union last night, unanimously voted to establish a permanent Committee to Advance Harvard Education with powers to study substitute plans for the budget cut and to represent student protests to the Faculty.

"Immediate expansion" will be the primary object of the newly formed committee, according to Robert Nassau '42, who presided at the meeting. A drive will be made to organize councils of concentrators in each field, whose duties will include the working out of specific difficulties in the department as well as proposing remedies for the budget problem to the executive committee.

During the course of the meeting representatives from each department were called on to discuss the effects of the budget cut in their fields insofar as they have been made known by the Faculty.

Music 1 Hit

The budget cut will hit the Department of Music severely, according to one concentrator, who pointed out that Music 1 is already turning away fifty students a year and will probably have to turn away another fifty as soon as the budget cut takes effect.

Irving Marder '42 connected the 10 per cent cut with the University's policy of sacrificing scholarship for the sake of defense. He questioned the activities of some Faculty men, whom he accused of spending most of their time in New York and Washington while the requirements of education go unsatisfied at Harvard.

As possible solutions to the problem of balancing the University's budget during a difficult period, many proposals, including wage cuts for the higher-priced Faculty members, solicitations from the alumni, deficit financing, and certain measures of economy were referred for further study to the Committee to Advance Harvard Education.