Curriculum, Tenure Committee Formed by Council

Students to Present Views On Effects of Budget Cuts

A Permanent Committee on Curriculum and Tenure which will serve as a focus of student opinion on academic matters in years to come and will take up as its first problem the present budget cut controversy was set up by the Student Council last night.

"Curriculum and Tenure" would presumably refer to changing, initiating, or abolishing of courses and hiring and firing of teachers. The group, a subcommittee of the Council's Education Committee, will include non-Council members from all fields of concentration, mainly from the Junior class. Eugene D. Keith '42 was chosen chairman.

Broad Functions

It was emphasized that the committee is not a "protest group" on the issue of the University's proposed ten per cant budget reduction, but that it will have the broader function of informing the heads of each department as to student opinion on the value of specific courses, instructors, and methods, and may from time to time recommend changes in the curriculum.

The committee will consult with various investigating bodies on education already existing in the University, including the recently established group of Phi Beta Kappa Society. The Council expressed the hope that the departmental heads would in turn consult with the Curriculum and Tenure Committee on changes of vital concern to undergraduates, such as the present budget cut for example.

The membership of the committee will be filled out by the end of the spring vacation and will be ratified at a Council meeting immediately thereafter. A report on the current budget controversy is expected in the near future.