NEWELL PERSONNEL ATTACKS ICE FLOES NEAR BOATHOUSE

Tech Oarsmen Have Four Weeks Jump on Crimson

Spring can't come soon enough for the inhabitants of Nowell Boat House. In fact the prospect of getting the necessary mileage behind the crew before. Its first race on April 26 seemed to be becoming so remote that during the last few days Tom Bolles and Company have undertaken to do what balmy days, one to date, and other forces of nature have no far failed to accomplish, clear the ice out from in front of Nowell.

Starting Saturday morning, members of the coaching staff; squad, launch drivers, and managers set about sounding the glacial material which all winter has concealed the Charles' murky waters, downstream on M.I.T., whose oarsmen already have a month's practice behind them.

Drams on the Charles

Saturday afternoon Captain Sherm Gray and Sophomore Harry Parkman played before a bankside gallery when the floe on which they were working broke loose and slowly swirled downstream with its entourage of embryo Eilzas. Heartened by Sunday's warmth, Arthur, who drives the University launch, and Carl, pilot of the Harvey Love Freshman special, set out to saw a space in which to set down, the float stages yesterday morning.

Late into the afternoon the organization of Love and Bollos, boated in a streamlined but rather leaky skiff, labored to remove the flees which had been loosened up. The Freshman mentor, who went through college as a coxswain, bent to the oars while Bolles, with four years of college rowing behind him, sat in the stern armed with a formidable bouthook, with which he attempted to wheedle flees of ice ranging as big as 120 by 45 feet through the arches of the Anderson bridge.