Oarsmen to Work Out During Spring Recess

12 Crews Will Row Twice Daily in Effort to Make up For Lost Time

Twelve eights will work out of Newell Boathouse this vacation, rowing twice a day in an effort to make up for the exceptionally bad weather conditions, which kept prospective oarsmen icebound until Thursday.

Tom Bolles will have four heavy crews to work with, and in addition the Varsity coach plans to keep several more sweepswingers in reserve. The Freshman heavy squad has been cut to three boat loads, and there will be five 150-lb. shells, three Varsity and two Freshman, practicing under the veteran eye of Bert Haines.

Work Begins Monday Morning

Starting Monday morning, the oarsmen will work out twice daily until Saturday in an effort to make up for the time which they have lost to their downstream rivals from M.I.T. Although the Engineers' practice hours are restricted because of stiff laboratory schedules, they have been on the water since before Washington's Birthday, and this formidable head start should be hard to overcome before the two crews meet in the Rowe Cup race scheduled for a month from yesterday.

Just how the Varsity will shape up is still a question to which the coming week's intensive training may well give some clues. At present Jack Wilson at stroke, Sherm Gray at six, and Sam Goddard at three, all veterans from last year's New London crew, are the only men rowing their usual positions regularly. Bruce Pirnie, veteran bowman, is temporarily out of action, and Bob Fowler, number four last year, probably will not row because of naval commitments.

There are any number of holdovers from last year's Jayvee and third boats, as well as a number of promising Sophomores in competition for seats in the first two Varsities, and by the end of vacation Bolles will have much better grounds for picking his first eight than at present.