DRAFT, BUDGET HAMPER SOCIOLOGY; ENGLISH NOT TOO SERIOUSLY AFFECTED

Graduate Students Will Carry Main Burden of Fine Arts Reduction

This is the second in a series of articles on the effects of the budget cut on the various fields of concentration. History, Government, and Economics were discussed yesterday.

This year's cut for the Sociology Department is not the first which this field has taken since its founding. Membership has increased two and one-half times over the years, whereas the present budget is smaller by 25 per cent than the one that the Department started out with.

Since several of the courses have already been struck off the list this year because of the departure of two professors, no new restrictions along this line must be made. The draft has hit the Sociology Department harder than the budget cut and worse than any other field. Two men have already been called to the colors, and Professor Zimmerman and Professor Homans are officers in the reserve.

Sections Too Large

One of the thorniest problems facing the field is how to keep down the size of sections. Professor Sorokin handles fifty students in his Sociology A section, which has grown too large and unwieldy to function properly as a section. This situation comes as a result of last year's budget cut as well as the field's increased enrollment.

Professor Sorokin, the head of the Department, does not think that the present budget cut will affect scholarship in the field too seriously, but he feels that another one definitely would. One consequence of this unstable condition is that good men go off to other jobs where pay is higher and tenure more certain.

English Department Hurt

Four special half year courses will be dropped by the English Department in '41-'42. They were in advanced fields and were handled by younger men, who will not be dismissed but who will help the older professors in the courses to be retained. Some new courses may be added.

How many younger men will be leaving is not known for sure, except that one tutor is definitely going. One instructor will be absent on leave, and three others have been awarded Guggenheims, slang for a fund to finance projects away from the University which could not otherwise be undertaken for financial reasons. Tutorial work will not be greatly affected, since only five more men will be assigned to each tutor, and none of the older pro- fessors will be pressed into service. Sections will remain the same in size and number, and salaries will not be cut.

No radical revisions in the Fine Arts Department will be necessitated by the financial strain. Very likely some courses will be dropped, but the effect of this will be borne by the graduate department. Tutors will have a few more tutees per man, and some of the men have already volunteered to help out