Faculty Group Urges President To Study Food Relief in Europe

Committee For Democratic Action Dispatches Letter to Roosevelt Terming Neglect of Starvation Unwise Policy

In the interests of democracy, the Harvard Committee for Democratic Action has voted unanimously to send a letter to President Roosevelt, urging that the United States Government carefully consider the European food relief problem, and make a study of the many plans which have been advanced for its solution.

Founded a little over a month ago, the committee is a group of Faculty members and graduate school students organized for the purpose of studying the problems that confront American democracy, and formulating well-balanced ideas of what should be done to cope with them.

As a result of several meetings, its members have adopted a statement of policy which consists of three main parts: 1. the committee was organized to discuss and suggest ways of preserving and extending American democracy, and advocates civil liberties, individual rights, labor rights, and improvement of the standard of living in America; 2. it is opposed to military intervention by the United States in foreign war, and seeks full discussion of the possible effects of intervention; 3. it plans to study the causes of the present war, the aims of the warring powers the consequences of victory for either side, and the problems of a lasting peace.

In other matters, the committee has been content with discussion, but in spite of the wide differences of opinion which appear in most question, all have agreed that the food situation is urgent enough to warrant the letter to the President.

Bart J. Bok, associate professor of Astronomy, member of the committee's executive board, and most ardent supporter of food relief on the committee, was delighted with the unanimous vote accorded the letter. He feels that this decision of a non-partisan and unprejudiced group is significant, in that it shows the appeal and simplicity of the plan.

The letter, in the form in which it went to Washington is as follows:

"The members of the Harvard Committee for Democratic Action, a group composed of fifty instructors and professors at Harvard, have voted unanimously at its meeting of March 25 that the Executive Committee of the group transmit to you, as the Chief Executive of the United States, the following communication.

"The membership is convinced that the feeding of neutral and German occupied Europe, as well as unoccupied France, represents a problem that directly concerns the United States. We cannot stand by idly when it is in our power to prevent the peoples of the European democracies from suffering famine and starvation. First and foremost, because to do so would be against the humanitarian spirit of democracy. Secondly, because contagion from the diseases that accompany starvation knows no boundaries or military fronts. Thirdly, because it would seem politically unwise for a nation that believes in the spirit of democracy to run the risk of antagonizing subjugated democracies in other parts of the world. If any way can be found to send food to these countries, there is a better chance that faith in democracy will persist in spite of totalitarian oppression, and that democratic morale will be strengthened.

"Our committee therefore urges that the government of the United States; 1. take steps to keep continually informed about food conditions in Europe; 2. do all in its power to promote the giving of aid where need is clearly demonstrated; 3. seek ways so that the aid be given without materially aiding Germany, and help to establish the proper controls to guard against the transfer of any part of this food to the armed forces or to workers in war industries.