Seven Fellows Named To Continue Studies

Seven Junior Fellows, selected for their promise of notable contribution to knowledge and thought, have been appointed to the Society of Fellows at Harvard for three years, effective next September, the University announced yesterday. They will devote themselves to independent research and study at the expense of the University.

The new Fellows are:

McGeorge Bundy, A.B. Yale '40, of Boston; Ray, S. Cline '39, of Terre Haute, Ind; Hans J. Epstein, Brown University '41, of Providence, R. I.; Richard F. French '37, of Braintree; John C. Greene, South Dakota '38, of Vermillion, S. Dak.; H. Evan Runner, Wheaton College, Wheaton, III. '36, of Philadelphia, Pa.; Carroll M. Williams, University of Richmond '37, of Richmond, Va.; In addition, James G. Miller '37, of Lakewood, O., who has been a Junior Fellow for the past three years, has been re-elected for one year.

This makes a total of fifty-eight young men from various colleges who have been appointed Junior Fellows at Harvard since the founding of the Society in 1933. The nearest existing approach to the Harvard Society is found at some of the English colleges, especially Trinity, Cambridge, where similar prize fellowships for unrestricted research and study have produced a great number of distinguished men.

At Harvard the Junior Fellows receive free board and rooms in the upperclass Houses, a yearly stipend of from $1,250 to $1,500, and free use of all the facilities of the University, such as libraries, laboratories and all privileges of instruction. The Fellows devote their whole time to productive scholarship, and preparation therefor, free from academic regulations for degrees. They receive no credit for courses and are not eligible for any degrees.

The Society is designed to meet the problem of associating future creative scholars in a distinct body that will have an attraction for ambitious young men of talent. The Junior Fellows lunch together weekly and in addition they dine once a week with the Senior Fellows, Faculty members who are eminent in different fields