MATMEN SUCCUMB TO TIGERS, 21 TO 13

By Evan Calkins

The grapplers received their second set-back in a row, Saturday, when they lost to slightly favored Princeton, 21 to 13, in the Indoor Athletic Building.

The meet was a discouraging one for Crimson fans, the low point being in the 155 to 175-pound groups, in which the visitors pinned three men in a row. Lee Ackerman was able to hold out for 7:45, but was finally pinned by an arm grapevine and half nelson. Lee Sosman was felled by a weaker but more experienced opponent in 6:32, and John Page, who was elevated to the Varsity on Friday, was thrown in 5:42 by a repeatedly applied reverse arm bar.

Aside from this, the matmen did a very satisfactory job. Captain Ted Schoenberg got the meet a good start by tying the 121-pound Tiger up in knots. He pinned him in 5:15 with a beautiful half nelson.

Although slightly outclassed by Princeton captain Bob Eberle, Jim Redmon made up in aggressiveness what he lacked in experience. He had Eberle in pinning position several times, but his opponent fought a good defensive scrap and nipped Redmon by a referee's decision of 15 to 12.

Ray Stone was up against another experienced man, but was able to hold him to a decision. Dick Thomas turned in his usual steady performance in the 145-pound bracket, garnering the Crimson's second pin in 6:35. Tom Rogstad, with the meet already won by Princeton, wrested a 5 to 0 referee's decision from the Tiger heavyweight.