Students in Graduate School of Design Plan to Remodel Yard

An underground parking space in the Yard, a balcony for every suite in the Freshman dormitories, and an architectural redecoration of the Yard that involves moving Widener to Quincy Street are the visions cherished by eight students in the Graduate School of Art and Design.

For the past five months these third-year men have been busy evolving their version of a Utopian Yard. Under the direction of Marcel Breuer, associate professor of Architecture, the revolutionary program started last October when eight idealists in Breuer's studio were given the task of redesigning specific buildings in the College.

Robinson and Hunt Combined

Among the buildings included were the President's house, Robinson Hall, the Freshman dormitories, University Hall, and Hunt Hall. This project was completed without spectacular developments except that on paper Robinson and Hunt were combined to make a long, low structure in ultra-modern architectural style.

With these specific designs as guides, the students now began work on remodeling not only its buildings but the Yard itself. The students do not however, plan to put any pressure on the Corporation to force the adoption of the plan, since the work was done unofficially.

Position of Buildings Changed

The main problem, according to the eight young men, was to change the position of the edifices in the Yard without dispensing with any of them. To solve this, the reformers hit upon a plan to group all the buildings around one open space in contrast to the present situation in which there are two bare spots, between Grays and Holworthy and between Widener and the Memorial Church.

In designing the proposed new Yard, the students, who split up into four different groups, placed all dormitories on the north side of the open space and all classrooms and administrative offices on the south side.

This scheme would locate all dormitories well away from the noise of Massachusetts Avenue. Offices and classrooms would be far enough within the Yard so as to eliminate most of the noise from the street. In addition, this plan was calculated to make order out of the present hodge-podge of dormitories, classrooms and administrative offices which are now promiscuously scattered about the Yard.