SENATOR WALSH PROBES NEGRO DISCRIMINATION

Committee on Sports Issues no Statement

Following an appeal from the Harvard Council for Democracy in Education, Senator David I. Walsh, Chairman of the Senate Committee for Naval Affairs, announced yesterday that he would make a full personal investigation of the Navy's much-publicized attitude toward colored athletes on teams visiting Annapolis. No statement of policy on the issue was forthcoming from the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports after its meeting last night.

Commenting on Admiral Willson's denial of having banned Lucian V. Alexis '42, Harvard's colored lacrosse player, Senator Walsh stated that he was "disturbed over the conflict in statements." He promised to make a full study of both sides in his capacity as Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee.

Democracy Council Investigation

The Council for Democracy in Education in the meantime has submitted a written account of the anti-discrimination case, part of which reads: "We feel this to be a question of national interest, involving not only a breech of democracy in our armed forces which should be built for the defense of democracy, but also a flat contradiction between the statement of an Admiral of our Navy and the sworn affidavit of two members of Harvard University.

"We hope that you and the Senate Naval Affairs Committee will undertake to ascertain the facts in this case and the policy of the U. S. Naval Academy. And should this policy prove to be contrary to the American spirit of equality, we hope that you will take steps to correct it."

Despite the fact that the Council for Democracy in Education received a letter this morning from Secretary Knox stating that he was in full accord with Admiral Willson's denial, the Council is making another plea to the Secretary of the Navy reemphasizing the sworn affidavit of the coach and manager of the lacrosse team that discrimination took place, and raising the issue of veracity as well as that of color.

Student support for the anti-Jim Crow protest is evidenced by a total of over 600 signatures on the Council's petition for athletic equality.