CONANT BESET BY REPORTERS ON ARRIVAL

Silent On British Work, Sees Roosevelt Next Week

President James Bryant Conant '14 returned to his home here early last evening after nearly two months in England as head of a three-man special mission sent by President Roosevelt to obtain "scientific information of importance to national defense."

Arriving in New York yesterday morning aboard the Pan American Airways Dixie Clipper, President Conant took the first train to Boston with his secretary, A. Calvert Smith '14.

Although tried out by his long trip, he granted a ten minute interview to a CRIMSON reporter last night. Reporters besieged him when he alighted from the Clipper in New York, accompanied him on his train to Boston, and furiously phoned his house for statements last night. He told each of them, as he told the CRIMSON last night, "I really do not have much of a story for you. The most interesting angles of my trip are, of course, confidential."

Wilson Back

A second member of the mission, Caroll, L. Wilson, former assistant to the president of M.I.T., returned with President Conant on the Clipper. Frederick L. Hovde, the third member of the mission and assistant to the president of Rochester, will maintain permanent headquarters in England, although perhaps coming to this country for a brief stay in August.

Associate Professor Kenneth T. Bainbridge, of the Physics Department, who accompanied a second group of scientists to Great Britain, will leave for America shortly, Conant said.

President Conant will attend a meeting of the Corporation tomorrow and on Saturday will head the Board of Overseers at their special session at William and Mary College. Williamsburg, Virginia. He will spend most of next week in Washington reporting to President Roosevelt and meeting with the National Defense Research Advisory Committee.