Veteran M.I.T. Crew Plans Surprise In Meet Against Crimson Oarsmen

Moch, Former Tom Bolles Product, Coaches at Tech

By John C. Bullard

A human-interest drama seems to be lining up for the meeting between the M.I.T. and Harvard crews, which at scheduled for a week from Saturday. Hah Moch, the Tech coach, as a Freshman coxswain at Washington received his instruction from Harvard's Tom Helles, who was then the Washington yearling mentor.

Things are looking up at the Tech boathouse this year, and although Moch won't commit himself one way or the other, most people feel that the M.I.T. navy has a better chance of springing an upset when it meets the Crimson than any other in recent history.

Although the Rowe Cup regatta marks the opening of the season for both Tech and Harvard, the Engineers have been aiming for this meeting with all the enthusiasm of a final race. A victory ever the Bolles special would mark the highpoint of the season for the Techmen, who were shut-out completely by the Crimson last year.

On the credit side of Tech's Lodger are a new Varsity shell, seven oarsmen back from last year's boat which almost beat Yale, and a long head start over the Crimson on the water.