Officials Expect Decline of 175 in College Next Year

Query on Study Cards Shows Result of Draft

As a result of the recent questionnaire on all upperclass study cards, and a study of the ages of undergraduates, University officials have estimated that there will be a drop of about 150 to 175 in next year's College enrollment because of the draft.

In spite of the set of questions on the study cards, however, exact figures about the result of the draft on the College are still not available.

The real purpose of the poll was to find out the actual number of men who have registered, how many are sure not to be back next year, and how many men will be exempted. In these respects, definite results were obtained, but due to the fact that Freshmen were not queried, the results are necessarily incomplete.

It was disclosed that out of the classes of 1942, 1943, and dropped Freshmen, 190 men have already registered under the Selective Service Act. Only 42 indicated that in all probability they would be absent from College next year.

Of the number of men already registered, however, the status of 85 of them is still in doubt. Fourteen of the 85 do not know what date they will be called, 13 are deferred or exempted, while 58 others are still unclassified.

It is noticeable that the poll included only those who would be affected by the present draft law and not by any new law which might go into effect in the near future. The poll was used as a measuring rod to help University officials estimate the result of the draft on the College.

Considerable vagueness still surrounds the number of men who will volunteer during the summer and how many of those already registered will be rejected by military officials.