Oarsmen Face Upset by Tech; Track Team in Triangular Tilt

Improved Engineers Seek Crimson Shirts

By John C. Bullard

Harvard crew shirts at M.I.T. are as highly regarded by the Engineers as the brand new Pocock shells they row in, and after this afternoon's Rowe Memorial Regatta, there is a very grave chance that some of the Scarlet and Gray sweep swingers will have something better than, gray sweatshirts in which to work out.

For four straight years, ever since the Regatta has been run, Crimson eights have swept the river, but today the vaunted supremacy of Tom Bolles and his coaching staff over their down-stream rivals is in danger of being scuttled beneath the murky waters of the Charles.

Tech Favored in Two Races

According to the "communiques" issued from both boathouse, Tech goes to the starting line a definite favorite in the Varsity 150 and Freshman heavy races. The Crimson should take the Junior Varsity affair, and the climax of the afternoon, the Varsity encounter, should be a toss-up. Boston University, which is represented in the three heavy events, is not counted on to finish better than third in any of them.

All the races are over the Henley distance of a mile and five-sixteenths, starting just below the Tech boathouse and finishing about a half-mile short of the Subway bridge. The first race of the afternoon is scheduled for 5:00 o'clock, with the fifties and Jayvees coming to the line at fifteen minute intervals. The feature event of the afternoon between the Varsity crews is set for 5:45 o'clock.

Under Tech's dapper little coach, Bob Moch, the Engineers have staged a rowing renaissance, and they think so much of this year's crew that they have accepted an invitation to go to Poughkeepsie for the first time in nine years.

M. I. T. 15 Seconds Faster

According to reports circulating from the Engineers' headquarters, this year's veteran-studded crew is 15 seconds faster than last spring's eight, which the Crimson beat by seven seconds. The shell which Sherm Gray captains from his number four slide is a little more advanced than itds predecessors, but it is certainly not fast enough to nose the Engineers if they should improve last April's opening performance by a quarter minute.

Tom Bolles, whose shiny record is apparently in jeopardy, comes out of his shell only to say, "If Tech's Varsity is fifteen seconds better than it was last year, it is going to collect a lot of silverware in its early races."

Bus Curwen will stroke the Jayvees and Hal Fales is the fifty pace setter. Harvey Love has finally picked out a makeshift Freshman eight which Geroge Angle will stroke. Of the eight men which Love picked three days ago to face the embryo Engineers only three are now rowing on the boat which will square off agianst Tech this afternoon. In an informal race at 4 o'clock the second fifty eight will meet an M. I. T. counterpart.