Chinese Princess to Christen Junk Today

By Hu FLUNG Huey occ

Preparation for launching "Little Mermaid of the North Atlantic," the junk built by Juniors David Ewing and Peter Black, swung into high gear last night with the announcement that a Chinese princess will christen the boat and the launching will be preceded by a procession accompanied by a 35 piece oriental band.

Preparing for an audience of 300 reporters to be present, the shipbuilders expect to be asked by the government to take several defense contracts for their type of craft.

Ewing, known as "the Yellow Peril of Lowell House," announced yesterday that the "Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association of New England" land" had donated the services of the and for the launching of the boat.

The Most Exalted Orange Blossom of ShunSheo Province, her royal highness, Princess Hoo Daat, will preside at the most noble launching of this latest unofficial adjunct of the Imperial Chinese Navy.

Freeman Koo '42 recently finished computing an oriental horoscope for the junk and, after prophesying a glorious future, named it and painted its title in Chinese. At the ceremonies preceding the launching, according to present plans, the old Chinese custom of serving rice will be observed.

Today's ceremonies will begin at 4.45 o'clock on Dunster Street, and the procession will end with the launching on the Charles River near Plympton Street.