Eleven Prizes Are Given For Music, English, and Elocution

Annual competitive prize awards to students were announced today by the University, as follows:

Jan LaRue, of Ann Arbor, Mich., '39, currently a travelling fellow in Music, of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, won the Bohemian Club Prize, awarded for the best essay on musical composition for one or two instruments. LaRue wrote a Suite for Clarinet and Piano.

Jerome H. Buckley, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, a second-year graduate student in English, won the Ruskin Prize, awarded for the best essay on the life, work, or interests of John Ruskin. Buckley wrote an essay on "Ruskin Versus Whistler."

William M. Abrahams '41, of Newton Center, and William W. Tyng '41, of Jamaica Plain, divided the Lloyd Mcklm Garrison Prize for poems written by undergraduates. The men will receive sliver medals and will divide the prize award of $160. Abraham's poem was entitled "Self Portrait"; and Tyng's poem, "The Six Saints of Calis." Honorable mention went to Cedric H. Whitman '43, of Middleton, R.I., Alan J. Pifer '44, of Shirely, Frederick G. Ranney Jr. '43, of Boston, and Francis L. Dawson Jr. '43, of Lynn.

Harold S. Shapero '41, of Newton, won the George Arthur Knight Prize for the best composition in instrumental music. He wrote a String Quartet.

Benjamin E. Gelerman '44, of Dorchester, won the Jeremy Belknap prize of $50 for the best French composition written by a Freshman.

In the Boylston elocution contest, first prizes of $35 each went to Leon S. Lipson '41, of Newton, and to Phillip Thayer '41, of Worcester; and second prizes of $25 each went to Arsen E. Charles '42, of South Braintree, David D. Henry '41, of Wellesley Hills, and Robert B. Nichols '41, of Dorset, Vt