Golfers in Tie For First League Place

Harvard's hopes for an Eastern golf crown were dealt a severe blow when the Crimson linksmen were whitewashed by Yale 9 to 0 over a rain-soaked Wannamoisett course in Providence Saturday afternoon, but the Crimson team slipped into a three way tie for first yesterday by defeating Williams 5 to 4 while Dartmouth pasted Yale 7 to 2.

On Saturday morning Coach Hodder's team edged Holy Cross 5 to 4 but fell before a barrage of Eli putts. By Sunday morning, however, the Yale putters had called, and Dartmouth obligingly jolted the Blue from the ranks of the undefeated.

Harvard having topped the Big Green 5 1/2 to 3 1/2 a week ago, still needed a win over Williams to throw the final standing into a three-way tie. with Yale and Dartmouth. Pete Macgowan went to the nineteenth hole to beat Captain Ferguson of Williams for the deciding point. A few minutes earlier, Don Peddie, Captain Watty Dickerman, and Don Elbel had all won their individual encounters. Peddle and Gerry Davis, who lost his match on the nineteenth hole, won their best ball point.