History Men Discuss Aftermath of Crisis

Although clashing on the conditions by which it may be achieved, John Potter '26, assistant professor of History and Literature, and Carl E. Schorske '38, teaching fellow in History, agreed last night after an informal discussion in the Eliot House Junior Common Room that the goal of this war must be an international order in which the dignity of the individual must be retained, and a setting up of reformed social and economic collectivism.

Potter stressed the fact that we have failed to realize two things, "the international state is too small and must be replaced by an international order, and the Industrial Revolution has only begun to have its effects."

U.S. Greater Than England

"The world now faces a choice between a world ordered by land armies who garrison and control, or by sea power which can make possible intercourse of world commerce and life. We are greater than England, if we grow up. I rather think that we will have to go to war to achieve the desired end."

The absolute need of Great Britain's definition of her aims was emphasized by Schorske. "We are heading further and further toward a war, and yet asking nothing about the aims." He feels that we must convince Europe to have an international order with the United States in the ascendancy."

British Bucked France

Citing past speeches of Eden and Churchill, Schorske said that England had bucked France in the past to maintain a balance of power to her own interests, "With committments from Great Britain on her war aims, either the United States or the British Labor party could lead to the new order."

In his concluding remarks, Potter stated that he believed we were at the cross roads of the greatest crisis since the fifteenth century, and that we cannot possibly remain stationary.