Vox Universitatis

This morning House members will be confronted with another questionnaire as they stumble sleepy-eyed into the usual Monday morning stupor of the dining halls. For a long time the food problem has been simmering in the minds of the undergraduates, but so far no constructive changes have been inaugurated to reduce that most oppressive item of all college expenses. Various economizing measures have been studied at length by the Student Council, and the result of their efforts is now being made public through the medium of this poll, which is designed to test the reaction of the undergraduate body to the proposed arbitrary measures of decreasing the board rate.

The two proposed measures are the standard meal rate and the self-service system. Each of these suggestions can effect a saving of one dollar per week for those men who now sign up for twenty-one meals a week. If they were applied together they would inaugurate a standard rate of eight dollars a week for all men in the Houses.

The fate of the college dining halls depends upon the outcome of this poll. For if undergraduate sentiment shows itself in favor of the proposed changes, these measures will undoubtedly go into effect next year. Such an important question as this deserves the thoughtful attention of the students to justify the faith that the administration has placed in self-government. No changes, however, ought to be made in the present dining hall system unless undergraduates undergraduate opinion shows itself whole-heartedly in favor of such a change.