Eliot Favored in House Finals Today on Basin

Harvard's House crow season comes to a close this afternoon when five House first crews and an undetermined number of seconds race over the Henley course in the Basin. The eights of Eliot, long noted as the bulwark of House rowing, are favored to finish first in both events.

Winthrop, Kirkland, Lowell, and Adams will be represented in the first crew race in addition to the Merrymen. In the eliminations held last week Eliot and Kirkland qualified from one heat, and Winthrop and Lowell form the other. Adams, by winning a consolation match from Leveret and Dunster, was named the fifth entrant.

In tryouts held earlier this spring to see who would meet the champion Yale College eight, Eliot found little difficulty in winning, posting a three-length win over the second place Winthrop crew, and since then has set a new House crew Henley record of 7:05.

The Eliot House seconds are favored to clean up on the rest of the opposition without difficulty. Saturday they posted a victory over the Adams House firsts and have previously beaten first crews from Leverett and Lowell. Kirkland and Winthrop House will be represented by eights.

Ford King and Frank Snyder, both on the fourth Varsity boat until it was cut, are rowing on the first Eliots and Mo Gray and Chuggy Lamson, who stayed over spring vacation to practice with the Varsity squad, are seated in the seconds, showing reasons perhaps why Eliot should sweep the Charles.