Huskies Nip Varsity Ball Team in Ninth

After pitching superb three-hit ball for eight innings during which he whiffed eight Northeastern basemen, Mort Waldstein weakened in the ninth, blew a two-run lead, and the Buskies finally eked out a 4 to 3 win on sweltering Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon.

High-water mark of the day for the Crimson nine was Ed Buckley's long home run past the centerfielder with one on in the fourth. Bill Tully who had opened the inning with a single came in ahead of the Minnesotan.

Buckley scored the only other Crimson run in the second inning. After drawing a free pass to first, he advanced on a sacrifice by Lou Clay and a long fly by Gil Whittemore. Pitcher Waldstein drove him in with a bingle to center field.

Pajonae Whiffe Four Times

It was Waldstein's ball game all the way until the final frame. He had whiffed the Huskies' ace shortstop, Al Pajonas, four times in his four appearances at the plate and had walked only two of the New England Conference champs.

With one out in the ninth however, the trouble came thick and fast. Two men walked and then Azzone powdered the ball into right field for a double that tied the score at three all. Coach Stahl decided that the Sophomore portsider had had enough and Burgy Ayres came in from the bullpen.

Rice, the enemy pitcher, showed little respect for Ayres offerings, however, and pasted the first ball for a clean single to right to drive home the winning run.

Playing their third game of the week, the Stahlmen travel to Worcester for a single game with Holy Cross tomorrow afternoon. Jack Schwede who turned in a fine pitching performance against Dartmouth on Tuesday will again be on the mound for the Crimson.

HARVARD  ab  r  h  po  a  oKeyes, ss  5  0  0  1  4  0Parsons, rf  5  0  1  2  0  1Harvey, 2b  2  0  1  2  2  0Tully, lb  3  1  1  7  1  0Buckley, cf  4  2  1  1  0  0Clay, lf  5  0  2  2  0  1Whittemore, 3b  3  0  0  1  1  2Regan, c  1  0  1  10  1  0Waldstein, p  3  0  1  1  2  0Ayres, p  0  0  0  0  0  0Haussermann*  0  0  0  0  0  0Scully**  0  0  0  0  0  0Totals  31  3  8  27  11  4*Ran for Parsons in ninth**Ran for Harvey in nint