MATERIAL ON '44 NINE SHOWS PROMISE DESPITE 9-3 DEFEAT

O'Donnell, Delahoyde, Berg, Fitzgibbons shine at Yale

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

Three or four men from the current Yardling baseball team show definite Varsity potentialities, in spite of the 9 to 3 shellacking they were handed by the Yale Freshmen last Saturday at Soldiers field, according to Coach Adolph Samborski.

He named right-fielder Cleo O'Donnell, who turned in several sparkling fielding plays Saturday, Paul Delahoyde the spirited and accurate catcher, Captain Ned Fitzgibbons, hard-hitting center fielder, and pitcher warren Berg as the most likely to see service on Coach Floyd Stahl's aggregation.

The Crimson were beaten by one of the best-hitting Yale yearling squads in a long time, and the Elis certainly proved it when they pounded out a total of 15 hits as opposed to six for the home team. Harvard was swinging at anything and everything that hurler John Neville offered and popped out. Had they waited Neville out, the result of the contest might have been different. Weakness in the field contributed heavily to the Yardling's sixth defeat, when they committed eight miscues, thus handing the Elis at least four runs on a silver plate.

Harvard's only big inning was the seventh when they began to show some signs, of life. With one down, Warren Berg, who was on the mound for the Yardlings, slapped a single to right, and went to second when Cleo O'Donnell banged another one-bagger down the third base line after Sandy MacMillan had flied out to Jim McTernan in left. Al Everts took one of Neville's offerings on the shoulder and strolled down to first, loading the bases. Just at this crucial moment, Ned Fitzgibbons came through, as he has a habit of doing, and rapped a long single to deep center, sending Berg and O'Donnell to the plate.

The third Yardling tally rolled across in the ninth when, with none out, lead-off man MacMillan drove a triple towards the stadium, and came home on O'Donnell's infield fly.

Batting stars of the game were Low Averbach and John Heath of the blue-socks. Averbach connected for a triple and a single for his six trips, and Heath got three singles for five times up. He, incidentally, reached base every time he was at bat, three times on hits, once on a fielder's choice, and once on an error. Every Yale batter got at least one hit.