Matthews Wins PBH Softball Title; Whips Walker-Farlow

Bunching three hits, two walks, and two errors in the first half of the third inning, Matthews Hall ran wild to score five runs and capture the Phillips Brooks inter-hall softball championship from Walker-Farlow Halls by a score of 6 to 1 yesterday afternoon.

Pitching for the winners was the acehurler of the league, Tom Axon, who limited the boys from Farlow to three measly bingles, while his teammates raked the opposition for seven well-placed blows, good enough for six counters.

In the regular season, Matthews slugged its way to the League II championship behind the effective pitching of Axon to end up with eight wins and two losses. Walker, in League I, combined good hurling and good fielding, and swept through to victory with six triumphs against two setbacks.

Approximately 160 Freshmen came out for this year's inter-hall softball games, the first of their kind in Yardling history. Competition was keen in both leagues, especially in League I, which played off a three-team tie for first place. For winning, Matthews will receive the championship plaque for Freshman soft-ball to be awarded by Phillips Brooks House.