LINKSMEN DEFEAT BIG GREEN SQUAD

Victory Puts Team in First Place Tie With Yale in EIL

By virtue of their 5 1/2 to 3 1/2 victory over Dartmouth at the Belmont Country Club last Saturday, the Crimson golf team has moved up into a deadlock with Yale for the first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League.

The match was close all the way, especially in the contest between the Crimson captain, Watty Dickerman, and Mel Figely of the Indians. They battled 22 holes before they decided to call it quits and split the point. Dickerman played his best golf in two years, returning to his Sophomore form. Don Peddie upset the Green leader, Bill Clark, by a score of 3 to 2, and, together with Gerry Davis, beat Clark and Maxwell in the foursome, 1 to 0. The Indian chief could not sink his putts, and three-putted six greens.

Sophomore Bill, "Uncle Bill," won five straight holes on the back nine to erase a five hole deficit and square his match with three holes to go. Then he won on the eighteenth when his opponent froze on a three-foot putt.

Pete MacGowan needed a tough five-foot putt on the eighteenth for his win. Don Elbel came up like a house afire at the end of his contest, and almost caught his man; he only lost by one down.