House Parietal Rules For Women Guests Changed

Oxford Card System Will Replace Chaperons; Visiting Hours Same

After hearing years of grumbling from undergraduates who felt that the College rules for entertaining women guests smacked of "bigoted puritanism," the House Masters have approved a recommendation by the Student Council that the "Oxford card system" be introduced in the Houses in place of the old regulations requiring special permission and the presence of "at least three persons."

The announcement of the changes in the parietal rules came from Dean Hanford yesterday, who added that it affects only the residents of Houses and not of the other dormitories. Further details about the administration of the plan in each House will be announced in September, at which time the revised rules will go into effect.

Oxford System Simpler

The Oxford system requires simply that the student sign in when he takes his lady guest to his room, and sign out when he leaves. Though the hours during which guests may be entertained in the rooms remain between one and seven o'clock, the regulation requiring the presence of a third person has been revoked for the Houses.

Dean Hanford stated: "As minimum requirements for carrying out the Student Council recommendation, the Masters have agreed that (1) every student who expects to entertain ladies in his room shall sign a statement to that effect on a special card or book when the guests arrive or some time earlier in the day and (2) that a student who has signified his intention to entertain ladies in his room shall certify their departure by signing a statement to that effect before the expiration of the period for entertaining ladies on that day."

The Student Council investigated the present parietal rules last fall, and in a report written by Eugene D. Keith '42 urged that the Oxford system be substituted for the old plan.