9 STUDENTS GIVEN BOWDOIN PRIZES

Annual Bowdoin prize awards, oldest at Harvard University, for dissertations in English, were announced today. They were established in 1794 by Governor James Bowdoin and in 1901 were increased by George S. Bowdoin. The awards are as follows:

Graduate Prizes

A prize of $300 to I. Bernard Cohen 4G, of West Newbury, Mass., for an essay entitled "Greenwich Village War Light: Cartesian Philosophy Examined Through Cartesina Physics."

A Prize of $300 to Robert Galambos 4G, of Clevenland, Ohio, for an essay entitled "Flight in the Dark: A study of Bats."

Honorable mention to Peter R. Viereck 3G, of New York, N. Y. for an essary entitled "Greenwick Village Warriors: Nazism in the Romantic Movement."

Undergraduate Prizes

First Prize of $500 to George R. Stange '41, of Chicago, Ill., for an essay "W. B. Yeats and the Modern Spirit of Tragedy."

Second Prize of $200 to Harry D. Feltenstein Jr. '41, of St. Joseph, Mo., for an essay entitled "The Metaphor Roots of the Symbol."

Third Prize of $100 to Arthur Kinoy '41, of New York, N. Y., for an essay entitled "Arise and Depart, for This is not Your Rest: The Resignation of George Ripley from the Ministry of the Unitarian Church."

Honorable mention to Cris G. Petrow '41, of Ames, Ia., for an essary entitled "Virginia Woolf and the Novel of Silence: A Study in Technique;" Robert G. Nassau '41, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; for an essay entitled "Land and the Labor Movement;" and Nathaniel W. Roe '42, of Patchogue, I. I. N. Y., for an essay entitled "The Metaphysics of Experience: An Essay on the Philosophy of A. N. Whitehead."