300 STUDENTS RETURN EARLY TO LOOK FOR OUTSIDE JOBS

Applications Range from Baby Tending to Donating Blood

More than 300 students have out short their summer vacations by a week or more to return to Cambridge and start looking for outside jobs to help pay their expenses, it was reported today by Charles W. Duhig, Acting Director of the Student Employment Office.

While students have applied for a wide variety of jobs, most of them at present are seeking work which will earn room or board or both, Duhig said. For room, the students tend furnaces, cut lawns, wash windows, and do other chores taking an hour a day; for board they wash dishes or wait on table.

The students so far have applied for work in such varied fields as singing, dance band work, monologuists, office work, stenography, and blood donors. Also, housepainting, clothes-pressing, photography, bill collecting, ushering, truck driving, and baby-tending. Large numbers have applied for odd-job chore work, chauffeuring, for retail sales work, and for typing.

Through College assistance, on the average over 1,000 Harvard students a year ordinarily find term-time and summer employment, and in good years earn between $200,000 and $300,000 to help finance their schooling.

1,300 Students Register

Ordinarily about 1,300 undergraduates, more than one third of the College enrollment, register for work with the Student Employment Office each year. In addition about 500 graduate students usually apply for work.

During the school year the largest number of jobs is found in restaurants, typing, entertainment positions, chorework, jobs as psychological subjects, chauffour work, blood donors, delivery work, and window washing. Odd jobs always turn up, such as teaching chess, modelling for artists, or directing traffic.

This summer about 400 students have held vacation positions, many of them as tutor-companions or camp councillors, or in hotel work.

In addition to helping the students get outside employment, Harvard for the past several years has appropriated $40,000 a year for undergraduate work within the University as an emergency program. This Temporary Student Employment Plan has supported jobs in various University departments such as the Library, Astronomical Observatory, the Houses and Museums, by which about 150 students a year have earned about $250 each.

This year, through a National Youth Administration grant of $60,000, approximately 400 students are being assisted through jobs at the University.