Coach Boston Ready To Develop Football Abilities of Freshmen

EXPECTS OVER 100 TO REPORT TODAY

By J. ROBERT Meskin

"Forty-five" crystalises its gridiron talk into action this afternoon when Coach "Chief" Boston sends his Freshman aspirants onto Soldiers Field for their first workout.

With the usual quota of more than a hundred candidates expected to participate. Coach Boston plans to get up steam immediately with organizational talks and full-uniform signal practice. The opening game with Exeter is scheduled for October 11 leaving "Chief" Boston three brief weeks in which to whip an efficient squad into shape.

All Freshman candidates must register and undergo a complete physical examination before reporting for active practice. Registration, consisting of filling out eligibility, publicity, and personnel cards, should be taken care of in Dillon Field House after 8:30 o'clock this morning.

Appointments for physicals to be given in the Hygiene Building during the day and locker and uniform assignments will be made out at Dillon.

Coach Boston, three year Varsity quarterback, begins his second season of coaching at his alma mater with high hopes of bettering the record of last year's squad. Assisted with the line work by Nick Mellen, guard on 1938's Harvard eleven and Jayvee line coach last season, Boston expects to mold a well-balanced aggregation from unknown material. Al Kevorkian of '37 Harvard and All-Star fame will fill the third coaching post.

Several names of prep school note have already come up among the crop of potential gridders. Jack Garland, captain and end on last season's Noble and Greenough eleven and Andover's Fisher brothers, a center and a back, sons of Harvard's ex-Varsity mentor Robert Fisher, lead the prep school contingent at the moment, but as usual the bulk of the team will consist of unknowns who must prove themselves in pre-season practice.

The Freshman schedule opens with a home game against Andover, October 11 and will be preceded by an intra-squad scrimmage the Saturday before. Encounters with Andover, Worcester Academy and Dartmouth follow on successive week-ends, all away from home. Brown and Yale travel to Harvard to climax the season by November 21.

Freshman Football Schedule

Oct. 11. Exeter, 2:30 P.M.

Oct. 18. Andover at Andover, 2:30 P.M.

Oct. 25. Wor. Academy at Wor.,

Nov. 8. Dartmouth at Hanover.

Nov. 15. Brown, 2:00 P.M.

Nov. 21 Yale, 2:00 P.M.