Freshmen Begin Inter-Hall Rivalry on First of Month

Samborski Says Choice of Managers Key to Success

Whether for pure pleasure or for possible promotion to a regular squad, Freshman intramural sports offer the best opportunity to get the team advantages of comradeship and co-operation for those who cannot make the first team--such is the rallying cry of Adolph W. Samborski '26, who for more than ten years has been the booster and Director of Intramural Athletics.

Equivalent to a second Freshman team, the most highly organized of the intramural sports is the tackle football team, which can be the jumping-off place for a higher team, or can merely satisfy the player who wants the stiffer competition provided by House teams or outside schools.

This aggregation is thoroughly supplied with coaches who are prepared to send any worthy man up to the first team, and, in fact, two men were promoted to the regular Yardling team last year.

Touch Starts Soon

Samborski hopes to see the less formal interdormitory touch football under way by Wednesday, October 1. Before the well-filled schedule can go into effect, however, the proctors in the Yard, and the Phillips Brooks Committee on Freshman Athletics, formed last winter headed by George M. Burditt '44, must appoint a manager for each team.

"A lot of the success of this program depends on the enthusiasm of the managers who are responsible for getting together teams from their respective dormitories," Samborski said yesterday. It has been pointed out that the managers have an exceptionally good chance to make contacts among their classmates.

Attendance Taken

Yardlings may not put down touch football for a regular sport on their compulsory exercise cards, since games are not sufficiently frequent. But attendance will be taken, so that those who wish to play may make up for absence from their regular sport.

With "touch" in the fall, the interdormitory program will follow through with basketball in the winter, and softball in the spring. Under the vigorous supervision of the Phillips Brooks Committee, the latter sport was well received last spring, and turnouts at Soldiers Field were regular.

Besides these principal activities, the program aims to include tennis, golf, swimming and track. Initiated last year, the track meet will be held in late November between hour exams and Christmas vacation. Track entries, which Samborski hopes will be more numerous than before, are to be divided into three groups such as the South, North, and West parts of the Yard, chosen with an eye to providing keen competition.

Plaques in the Union were supplied by the P.B.H. Committee so that the Halls which come out on top of the heap in each of the athletic tournaments may be suitably recorded.