Abrupt Switch in H.S.U. Foreign Program is Forecast For tonight

Union Will Support Declaration of War

All indications last night pointed to a hairpin turn along the Party line on the part of the Harvard Student Union, the leading proponent of isolationism in the College last year, when the H.S.U. meets tonight in Lowell House to vote on a report of the executive committee which recommends all-out intervention.

The anticipated policy change became officially known last night when the H.S.U. distributed copies of their proposed platform for the coming year at a Freshman meeting in the Union last night. Included in the program, under the heading of "Foreign Policy" is a declaration which reads:

"The goal of all persons wishing to preserve democracy and the freedom of the peoples of the world must be the military defeat of Hitler. We urge, and will actively support any and all steps directed to this end." The italics are the Student Union's.

Program to Be Adopted Tonight

Reliable sources stated unequivocably last night that the new program would most certainly be passed by the membership of the H.S.U. when the issue comes to a vote this evening in the Bellboys' common room at 8 o'clock.

An interventionist platform for the H.S.U. recalls last year's blokering over the Union's traditional policy of isolation which eventually resulted in a split of the membership, and effectively quashes rumors which have been circulating to the effect that the Union would side-step the same issue this year by refusing to take a stand on the question of international affairs.

It is believed that the H.S.U. will make offers of alliance or of collaboration with the Liberal Union, its erring branch, and with the Student Defense League, both of which organizations are following the same line of policy as the H.S.U. is expected to adopt this year.

Will Awalt H.S.U. Offer

However, neither organization would predict last night whether it would be willing to work or unite with the Student Union. Officers of the Liberal Union and the Defense League declared that they would wait for a definite offer from the H.S.U. before they decide on policy.

Other points of the new H.S.U. program include an indorsement of active support for the Defense Program and for an "army prepared in every way to make any effort for defeat of Hitler."