REPEAL OF NEUTRALITY ACT GIVES RISE TO EXCITED DEBATE ON NETWORK PROGRAM

Tudor Gardiner 2L, Harvard's Senator Wheeler, and Law School Professor Warren A. Seavey, sizzled the lighting circuits last night in a CRIMSON Network debate on the Neutrality Act repeal question.

Seavey, speaking firs, held out for the arming of merchant ships to insure delivery of their cargoes. But Gardener flatly opposed such action, charging that it would only create a number of incidents that would sooner or later lead us into war.

"America closed its eyes in neglecting the army and navy," said the law professor in comparing the United States actions to these of an ostrich. "By means of the Neutrality Act, Congress sought to prevent our country from becoming over-excited in foreign affairs."

Present public opinion, Seavey claimed, shows that American feelings are decidedly not neutral. The popular acceptance of the destroyer deal, the occupation of Iceland, and convoying of ships, indicate the true attitude of the United States. "Repeal of the Act," he continued, "would take off the cover of hypocrisy and would clearly draw the lines of our foreign policy."

Gardiner, in answer, stressed the fact the that law's repeal, would have little effect in insuring transportation for a larger supply of goods to the embattled democracies. "Only four percent of lease-lend ear goes were lost," stated the America Firster, "a figure too small to invoice arming of all merchant ships, even if such arming were possible."

Sending armed supply ships into the war none, Gardiner remarked, would be an necessary risk since America would only be incurring the possibility of open battle. such as incident would give rise to bitter feeling and would serve to draw the whole might of the united States into the war.

Gardiner defended the Neutrality Act as a protection for keeping America out of war. "Twenty-five years ago," he pointed out, "the United States was told that her men would not be needed, but gradually her money, her resources, and finally her soldiers were called upon. Again the country is told the same story, but this time it must be awake and not make the mistake of repeating the Neutrality Act, he concluded.