U.S. Navy Aviation Selection Board Seeks Candidates

Students May Enroll at 19; Defer Entrance Until June

Recently directed by the Secretary of the Navy to enroll at once the maximum number of candidates qualified for officer's training in Naval Aviation, the Naval Aviation Cadet Selection Board has just received instructions to lower to 19 the minimum age required for enlistment in Class V-5, the student status for flight training.

College Juniors and Seniors who apply for the eight months' course resulting in a commission as Ensign in the Naval, or 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps Aviation Reserve may, if they so request, be deferred from call to active duty until completion of their current college year.

Sophomores May Be Enrolled

Sophomores may be enrolled in the officers' training course for naval aviation, provided they can present letters from the registrar of their college stating that they are currently enrolled in the college and have every reasonable expectation of completing two years of instruction with one-half the credits necessary for a degree. However, they will not be ordered to flight training duty until they have actually completed two years of college instruction.

One enlisted in Class V-5, all college men, when they have completed their current academic year, will be assigned to active training duty in the first class in which they can be accommodated. An effort will be made to keep college units together as much as possible.

Since early last fall until the present time some 55 Harvard men have enrolled for the course. Many more are expected to apply with the lowering of the age requirement to 19 and in view of the new provision for temporary deferment from active duty until the completion of the current academic year.

All men interested in Naval Aviation flight training should make immediate arrangements to take a night physical examination and enroll in the Naval Reserve, so that next spring they will be available to start the V-5 training course. All enrollees are exempt from the provisions of the Selective Service Act.