NEW HOCKEY COACH CHASE HOLDS DRILL

Practice Contests Planned To Prepare For Army Game

By J. ROBERT Moskin

John Chase, newly-appointed hockey coach, put on the badge of office Friday morning and that very evening began the task of reshaping a team in mid-season. Calling for a practice at 5:30 o'clock, Chase spent an energetic hour sending the Varsity through its paces.

Terse and business-like, Chase was vague about future plans, but admitted he would make no drastic changes in technique at this time. Finding an emphasis on tricky plays, he, however, immediately set about increasing dependence on accurate passing. This would lead to teamwork taking the spotlight away from spectacular individual performances.

Meets West Point

Chase will have until February 7, when the Varsity travels to West Point, to acclimate his charges to his style of play. Examination period, however, will cut into practice time; and his first session Friday saw several starting players absent. Several practice matches are in the ofling to give the team a chance to try out its new lessons.

The defense has come in for little attention as yet, and Chase appears desirous of perfecting the attack before progressing to that department. Voluble on the ice, the new coach becomes very direct and brief when not directly concerned with his duties. He skates down with each charging wave, and will even take a stick and puck in hand to demonstrate a point.

Skeets Canterbury, one of Harvard hockey's oldest standbys, has again the task of keeping Crimson nets free from opposing scores by training his goalies.