7 OF FACULTY BECOME FULL PROFESSORS

New Appointments Will Be Effective Next September

Seven new full professors in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences have been created by appointments approved this month by the Board of Overseers.

Effective next September, Gordon Willard Allport '19 will have the official title of professor of Psychology and tutor in the Department of Psychology. He began in 1924 as instructor here until he moved to an assistant professorship at Dartmouth. He returned in 1930 with the same title and was made associate professor in 1936.

Taylor Stark, now professor of German and tutor in the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures, taught at Smith, N.Y.U., and in Madrid before coming here in 1920.

Clarance Crane Brinton '19 has moved up the ladder from an instructor in 1923 to professor of History and tutor in the Department of History. Three years ago he was made a Senior Fellow.

Dean Buck Also Professor

Paul Herman Buck, who takes office as the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences the week after next, has been made professor of History and a tutor. Arriving in 1926, Dean Buck has advanced rapidly since 1935 when he became an assistant professor.

Francis O. Matthiessen, professor of History and Literature, served as chairman of the Board of Tutors in that department from '31 to '36.

The chair of Henry Charles Lea professor of Medieval History has been bestowed on Charles Holt Taylor who has been a member of the faculty for 17 years.

As recently announced, Colonel Philip Hayes, West Point '09, has been made a professor of Military Science and Tactics.

Other appointments simultaneously approved were those of Archibald T. Davidson, professor of Choral Music, as curator of the Isham Memorial Library, and of Francis W. Hunnewell '02 as research associate of the Gray Herbarium.