A.R.P. Plans Drill in Building Evacuation

Practice Scheduled Early in Next Term

Progressing rapidly with their plans to protect the University community, Harvard Air Raid Precaution officials announced last night that there will be a practice evacuation of buildings some time early in the next term, and have posted directions concerning the location of shelters.

When the evacuation is ordered, men will proceed either to their rooms, or to one of the buildings designated as a shelter, as ordered by an Air Raid Warden. Two wardens have been assigned to each floor in such buildings as Sever and Emerson, while there will be wardens posted outside at the entrances of shelters, and inside the shelters themselves.

In the event of an alarm at night, there are wardens in the Architectural School, at Robinson Hall, until 11 o'clock every evening, and these men will be stationed at shelter buildings and entrances.

In addition, it was announced that a technical committee has been established to deal with special problems of the A.R.P. system around Harvard, such as the system of signals to be used, blackout instructions, authority of wardens, specific rules for evacuation, and the location and organization of first aid posts and auxiliaries.

This committee has classified the buildings around the Yard as Class A or Class B, and is making plans to equip the buildings selected as shelters. Although the Corporation has requested that no plans be made, or action taken, for protection against large high-explosive demolition bombs because of the slight likelihood of the use of any such missiles against this country, both the Class A and Class B buildings offer adequate safety from penetration by incendiary and small H.E. bombs.

A Class A building has adequate ventilation and toilet facilities for the number of people specified, has strong enough over-head construction to carry any debris from collapsed walls or roof, except in the case of a direct hit with a large bomb. Most of the buildings thus classified are of fireproof construction, and afford safety from splintering glass and fragmentation of the bomb.

The Class B structures fulfill the same conditions as the Class A, except that their overhead construction is not strong enough in most cases, and they are not fireproof. However, reinforcement of the roof can be easily made, reducing the danger appreciably. Both types are provided with two exits.

A temporary warning system for notifying wardens in the event of an emergency has been established, and will consist of a specified ring of the telephone. Equipment for wardens has, in most cases, ben acquired, and will soon be distributed