FACT and RUMOUR

"Fact and Rumour" is composed of excerpts from a column by that name published in the "Daily Crimson" 50 years age. The items are here reproduced as they were printed then. The dates in parenthoson indicate the dates of the issues in which the excerpts appeared.

Mr. S. Williston, third year, has been chosen to represent the Law School at commencement. (May 8, 1888.)

Three tons of old Lampoons were sold yesterday to a junk dealer at three-quarters of a cent a pound. (June 2, 1888.)

Mr.George Lyman Kittridge, professor of Latin at the Phillips Exeter Academy, has been appointed instructor of English. (May 8, 1888)

Of the 1494 convicts in Juliet penitentiary, 129 are college graduates.(May 29, 1888)

An amusing incident occurred at the reception tendered to the Glee and Banjo Clubs after their concert at Fall River, Wednesday evening. The hall, which was lighted with electric lights, was suddenly thrown into pitchy darkness in the midst of a mazy waltz. Imagination pictures the tender scenes that followed without the aid of electric lights. (April 27, 1888)

The steam launch has been put in order and is now used daily by the committee while coaching the crew. (May 17, 1888.)

Monday afternoon a stray bullet broke one of the windows in the library of the Law School. (April 26, 1888)

A petition is being circulated among Yale students asking the faculty to lengthen the Christmas vacation from two to three weeks. (May 2, 1888.)

The college of Mexico is the oldest college in America, being fifty years older than Harvard. (May 2, 1888)

Considerable excitement was caused by an explosion in the entry of Weld about midnight Thursday night. (May 19, 1888)

During a five-hour session today the Yale corporation refused to grant the petition signed by a thousand graduates to leave the historic "fence" intact. Not a single member of the corporation favored granting the petition. The decision has caused much disappointment among the undergraduates, and some of them are decidedly indignant. (May 19, 1888.)

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON: I feel impelled to bring to notice through your columns the actions of a certain set of Sophomores in Memorial Hall. In the matter of loud talking, boisterous behavior, and general vulgarity of demeanor they are unexcelled. If they would indulge in their monkeyshines when there are no strangers about; but they seem to take particular delight in throwing bread, hammering on the table and cursing the waiter when there are spectators in the gallery. Just at this time the public is subjecting Harvard students to a good deal of unfavorable criticism, and it behooves us to be very careful of the impressions we give. (Letter to the Crimson, May 26, 1888.)

Tables 33, 54 and 55, at Memorial Hall, have been censured.(May 27, 1888.)