Draftees Run Gamut Of Exams, Reports

A recent release by the Rhode Island division of the Selective Service System was designed to answer the eternal question of what actually happens to a draftee when he is called into active service and reports to an Army induction center.

On the first day the draftee passes through the following steps: (1) a short physical examination to assure that he has suffered no disabilities since his pre-induction examination; (2) an interview for the purpose of securing data necessary to complete his induction record, at this time he should be prepared to give the complete name and address of his nearest blood relative and also that of another blood relative whom the new trainee desires to designate as an alternate beneficiary in case of accident; (3) a formal ceremony in which he will be inducted as a soldier in the Army of the United States; (4) he is then issued toilet articles and assigned to his company.

On the second day the new draftee reports to the recreation center where: (1) he is interviewed by trained personnel technicians for the purpose of recording all of his civilian education and experience to assist in properly assigning him to some branch of the service; (2) he is then given a simple classification test to determine his mental ability for all future references; (3) a series of regular training films will be shown so that he may know the basic principles of military courtesy; (4) the Articles of War, the laws and rules that govern the conduct of military men, are then read and explained to him; (5) there is a short talk by the Chaplain and the Medical Officer to give basic information which will help him while in the Army.