C.A.A. READY FOR SPRING SEMESTER

Men Expected to Enlist Upon Completion of Course

With its first wartime class about to receive certificates for completion of primary training in ground and flight work, the Civil Aeronautics Authority is awaiting word from Washington before beginning its spring course in civilian pilot training.

According to Howard W. Emmons, instructor in Mechanical Engineering and director of the course, all men who complete their training now have a "moral obligation" to enlist in the fighting services for further flight training and ultimate commissions in the air service. While there is no legal compulsion to do this, it is expected that students will follow this course.

Licenses Not Issued

Ordinarily men who finish the primary courses satisfactorily immediately receive their pilot's licenses. Under the Government regulations grounding all civilian flyers, however, graduates will not be allowed to fly unless they have special permission secured from the Commissioner of Aviation, or, of course, if they are flying for the United States.

Emmons is now waiting to hear from Government quarters exactly what quota of men his course will be permitted to train this semester. Permission has already been granted to Harvard to extend the training to two students from Pan American countries, and selection of these men is now under way. It is still possible, of course, that with the war emergency, the Government will cease civilian training and place all pilot instruction in the hands of the Army and Navy.

Students in the C.A.A. course have heretofore taken first the primary course, and after receiving their licenses about half have elected to take the secondary course given at the University. Some of these have afterward gone on to take advanced work on their own. This has included training as a pilot instructor and in cross country flying.