Crimson Sextet Overwhelms Williams Stickmen, 7-1

Paine Paces Attack In Hockey Triumph

By John C. Bullard

In a game marked by ragged play on both sides the Varsity hockey team disposed of Williams 7 to 1 in the Boston Skating Club last night. Harvard seized the initiative at the opening whistle and held the upper hand throughout the game.

But in chalking up their fourth official victory of the season, the Hoddermen were not up to former standards and only occasionally did they flash the coordinated attack of the near past.

Paine Leads Attack

Johnny Paine, center of the line which Clark Hodder last night used as his seconds, was the game's high scorer, with two goals and an assist to his credit.

Using five men up at the start in an effort to force a break, the Crimson went ahead of the Purple at 4:27, when Paine took Gordy McGrath's pass and beat the Williams captain and goalie for first blood. The Sophomores made it 2 to 0 when, with Williams a man short, Beebe flashed the red light, Macmillan being credited with an assist.

Williams Tallics in Second

For a brief moment at the opening of the second period Williams sneaked back into the game when Nichols on a low shot beat Steve O'Nell, who had replaced starter Ab Fenn in the Crimson sets. Just 46 seconds later Gebelein struck back on a pretty play in which Paine received credit for an assist. Beebe and Harding both scored on passes from Everts and Ayres respectively to give the Crimson a 5 to 1 edge before the end of the period.

Harvard added two more goals in the final period. McGrath started one scoring play with a pass to Paine, and Everts took Macmillan's pass in 17:15 for the seventh Crimson marker.

The summary:

Harvard Spares: Paine, McGrath, Gebelein, Everts, Beebe, Macmillan, Acker, Griffith, Cowen, O'Neill, Witherby.

Williams Spares: Aycrigge, Fisher, Talbot, Fuller, Boykin, McFarian, Gardiner.

First period: Scoring: (H) Paine (McGrath) 4:27; (H) Beebe (Macmillan) 11:15. Penalties; (W) Courter (charging); (H) Paine (charging.)

Second period: Scoring: (W) Nichols (Brown) 4:16; (H) Gebelein (Paine) 5:02; (H) Harding (Ayres) 18:32. Penalties: (W) Fisher (tripping); (H) Summers (interference); (W) Hannock (tripping); (H) McGrath (cross check); (W) Courter (cross check.)

Third period: Scoring: (H) Paine (McGrath) 7:13; (H) Everts (Macmillan) 17:10. Penalties: (H) Acker (handling the puck); (W) Boykin (roughing.) HARVARD (7)  WILLIAMS (1) Loring, lw  lw, Brown Ayres, c  c, Nichols Harding, rw  rw, Comfort Dreher, ld  ld, Courter Summers, rd  rd, Cole Fenn, g  g, Hannock