Ernest Vaillencourt, "Crimson" Linotypist, Continues Varied Career, Enlists in U.S. Navy

Printer Won Golfing Title At 14, Was Gym Instructor

Latest contribution to the armed forces of the country will be the CRIMSON's loss when Ernest Vaillencourt batter known to five years of undergraduate editors as "Ernie," officially joins the Navy within the next fortnight.

Ernie's life history would read like a fairy tale. When two years old, he lost both his father and mother, and, along with six brothers and sisters, was forced to seek shelter with foster parents. It is only recently that Ernie has succeeded in locating and renewing acquaintances with his scattered kin.

Rides Chattanooga Choo-Choo

The 24-year old linotypist, who has been running the CRIMSON presses in the early morning hours for the last few years, gained national prominence nine years ago when he finished third-in the national minter golf championship at Chattanooga, Tennessee, A seant fourteen years old, he had won the Massachusetts tournament earlier in the year and was acclaimed by Francis Ouimet as a phenomenal putter and a potentially great golfer.

Upon graduating from Brookline High School, he was awarded the Charles W. Holtzer scholarship for excellence in printing. Ernie's first position after graduation was that of gymnasium instructor at the M--School for girls in Boston. From there he went to the Crimson Printing Company where the worked up from a minor job to one of the more important positions in the firm.

Ernie's stay with the CRIMSON has been a happy one. "It's been a lot of fun meeting so many different follows from all parts of the country," remarked Ernie. "The students are a good bunch, and I'm sorry to leave them."

A few weeks ago, Ernie applied for duty with the Coast Guard but was rejected for a minor eye defect. As he was leaving the recruiting station, he met a Commander in the Navy who took a real interest in his troubles. A short discussion followed and the Commander secured permission for him to ship on the City of Flint, a ship already famous from a brush with the Nazis. At present Ernie is remaining at work and expects to be called with in the next few days.