STRUCTURE OF T.V.A. SHOWN

Illustrating the New Deal's most extensive and most architecturally significant projects, pictures, models, and plans of the Tennessee Valley Authority's 10 great dams are being shown in Robinson Hall with the collaboration of the Museum of Modern Art, of New York.

Territory as large as all of England is included in the watershed of the Tennessee River which has been harnessed as much for the purpose of flood-control as for supplying cheap electricity for a region which has badly needed it.

Connected by nine-foot channels which accommodate river barges, the 700-mile string of reservoirs from the Kentucky Dam to the Norris Dam is being called the Great Lakes of the South and are coming into their own as resorts, particularly at the Chickamauga Dam near chattanooga.

Significant Design

The structures themselves have been widely acclaimed as the best expression of Federal architecture to date, in contrast with the imitative superficiality of Washington, and this includes cottages for the workers in the plants as well as the power-houses, dams, and gianterances.

As many excellent photographs illustrate, the designors of the project have used varied lines and textured concrete to make the buildings more than purely industrial without resorting to mere applied ornament, and particular care has been taken so that visitors may get the best views of the works.

Among the several models which are included with the pictures and diagrams is one of the entire Pick wick Landing Dam and one of the great cranes which was used to install turbine at Hiwassee.