'42 Training Better Than '17, Says Chaplain Patrick

World War I Hero Calls for Restraint

To teach men in the armed forces that "freedom, to be retained, must be restrained" is one of the prime jobs of an Army minister, according to Chaplain (Maj.) William E. Patrick, holder of the Distinguished Service Cross, and former National Chaplain for the American Legion, and the Army and Navy Legion of Valor.

Now taking a "refresher course" at the Army School, the 52-year old Cambridge-born Episcopal minister is the senior among the many newly-commissioned First Lieutenants attending the school.

Cited for Heroism

During the last war, he was cited for "extraordinary heroism" for the 11 last day of the struggle during the Mouse-Argonne offensive. One of his three awards read "He searched for wounded, gave them first aid, and assisted their evacuation under heavy machine gun and artillery fire. His firm determination to go where over he could be of service, disregarding his personal safety, was a constant source of inspiration to all officers and enlisted men in his battalion."

He is glad of the "refresher course," in spite of his many years in the Army, and says that it has been of great benefit to him. "The chaplains in this war are much better trained than we were," he said yesterday. "If we had known some of the things they are learning, we never would have made the mistakes we did." A graduate of the College, he calls it a "great treat" to be here again.