Harlow Stresses Pass Offensive In Drill for Star-Laden Quakers

Penn Boasts Crowd Of Veteran Players

With a subline disregard for World War II, the University of Pennsylvania's football team is one of the few clubs in the country which gives the lie to the statement that the gridiron sport has been adversely affected by a somewhat global bestiality now going on.

Just one look at the squad will convince anyone that Penn in stranger than the outfit which won the Ivy League title (if Navy be excluded) last year, squelching a sweltering Crimson eleven 19 to 0 at Philadelphia in the course of its operations.

Three Veteran Ends

Take the end posts, for Instance. Where most college teams are crying for a man with anything that looks like flank ability, the Quakers are blessed with three veterans, Captain Bernie Kuczynski needs no introduction. He was a Varsity starter in his Sophomore year, and his offensive play is as good as Crimson linemen will see all year long.

On the other flank is Herb Nelson, another battle-scarred operative, who started every game for the Red and Blue last year, Needless to say, both ends are big and speedy. And Frank Quillen, first substitute at the position, has had plenty of experience. He's a good pass receiver.

Only at the tackles can it be said that Coach George Munger is using untried men. Not that John Donaldson and Bernie Gallagher are out-and-out rookies; Donaldson saw plenty of action last fall, but he can't be truly classified a veteran, and Gallagher wasn't in good grace with the dean's office. Both men are mammoth, as could be expected.

Shiekman Good Guard

Mort Shiekman, another player with two years of experience, is top guard on the squad. Big and smart, he'll be around in great measure on Saturday. His running mate, Ed Grain, hasn't had too much experience. Among the reserves at this post is undefeated Penn wrestler Dick De Battista, whose ruggedness needs no formal introduction.

At center, Don Bitler is one of the best snappers-back in the East. Bitler gained his experience under the famous Ray Frick two years ago, and last year he was a regular. this season, naturally, he expects his best year. His replacement, Walt Weismiller, won his letter last year.

Penn Has Backs Galore

If there appears to be enormous reserve strength and a slew of veterans on the line, the backfield is even more loaded with talent, and proven talent. Without doubt, the Penn backfield is one of the best in the country, both in individual ability and in depth.

There is Bert Stiff. Stiff is the devastating fullback who did more against last year's formidable Harvard line than any other man, all year long. Add another year of practice and growth, and there emerges one of the top bucking backs around.

Nor is bucking Stiff's only talent. Last year he completed 60 per cent of is passes, and he is rated as the best defensive fullback at Penn in years. Quite a man, this Stiff. And his substitute, Bib Brundage, would probably play regularly for half the colleges in the East. He is just a shade being Stiff in offensive and passing ability, but he isn't as versatile.

Three Speedy Juniors

Three juniors with speed to burn, Joe Kane, Bob Odell, and Bill Miller, are enough to make any defense pant, This trio, which will see action at wingback and tailback slots, should bring plenty of trouble for the Crimson ends. When these boys run, they fly.

With this awesome array of talent, one might think George Munger hasn't a worry in the world. But he does; constant experimentation still hasn't produced a quarterback to fill Gene Davis' shoes. In the Penn system, a quarterback must block like a fiend, call signals, and bark signals (Penn uses no huddle) in the best Demosthenesian manner. Jackie McCarthy, a Sophomore converted from end, has top rating right now.