Massacres and Ministers Fill 250 Years of W & M History

Eleven Also Boasts Spectacular Record

By Armand SCHWAB Jr.

Two hundred and fifty years of history and tradition, plus a reputation as one very powerful football team are behind the William & Mary squad as they roll into South Station this morning. The second oldest college in the United States dates back to the Glorious Revolution, but its 1942 eleven is more interested in propects for the best gridiron season of its brandy-hung history.

This is the team that's been in the making for the past four years, since Coach Carl Voyles first came to the Indians' hangout. Fifteen lettermen and a satisfying number of juniors and sophomores have given Voyles an experienced, tough team, that averages 190 lbs. And it boasts two real stars in Stud Johnson at fullback and Garry Ramsey at guard.

If they were minded to, the prospective all-Southern Conference champs could trace their Alma Mater's life back to pre-Harvard days. For even before New England had been settled, the tobacco planters of Virginia tried to establish a college. An Indian massacre wiped out faculty and students though, and that was the end.

There aren't many frills or fancy hooper-doopers among the Indians' plays, and straight power stuff from a single wing has been their forte. Out at the end posts they can brag about two snappy ball handlers from the basketball court, Glenn Knox and Al Vandeweghe. Both are veterans, and both will probably start today despite talk of leg injuries.

Again in 1660 The Grand Assembly resolved to have a college, like Harvard for the education of ministers. It was called "The Colledge", but didn't exist till William and his wife Mary granted a charter in 1693. An English official answered the colonist's plea with "Damn your souls--make tobacco", but the charter went through.

Moving in to the tackles, Captain Marv Bass and Hall Fields are two boys with lots of drive. And then come the guards, and Garry Ramsey. Ever since Voyles discovered Harvard   qb  lhb  rhb  fb   Anderson  Comeford  Wilson  Johnson   180  68  190  190   lc  lt  lg  c  rg  rt  re   Barnes  Durwood  Gudaltis  J. Fisher  Smith  Stannard  Cummings   186  195  178  187  181  190  181   re  rt  rg  c  lg  lt  le   G. Knox  Fields  Holloway  Warrington  Ramsey  Base  Vandeweghe   100  195  185  190  185  200  175     Forkovitch  Bucher  Longacre  Johnson     200  180  190  200 William and Mary

him as a gangling sophomors, this 6 foot 2 battering ram has been tearing up nice green gridirons. He's the right kind of guard to follow the Harlow-hidden ball today, and if he does, Crimson backs will be the losers. Doc Holloway is his running mate, and not far behind.

When the Revolution came along, William and Mary suspended for awhile, and its buildings, like Massachusetts Hall in Cambridge, was occupied by troops. But the war ended, and the college lived happily until it was destroyed by fire in 1859, Rebuilt, it was again fired, this time by Union soldiers during the--that is, the War between the States.

Tex Warrington at center is another old hand, and he'll be passing the pigskin back to some of the most accomplished backs in the business. Johnson is the big boy, of course, and he's plenty big. His own coach Voyles calls him a "back without a weakness," and that's going some. He's the man that beat both Dartmouth and Navy with field goals, and when he's not kicking he's usually furrowing opposing lines with All-American calibre running.

Never a very large college, W & M is now up to about 1500 students, both men and sweater girls. But it has a record of more distinguished graduates than almost any other college, and is the home of such features of American academic life as the honor system, electives, and Phi Beta Kappa, which was founded there in 1776