Navy Turns Guns On Business Nine

By Martin PARKER G.b.

Strange happenings took place in the shadow of the Harvard Stadium yesterday afternoon. With the Crimson's football forces running through their practice capers only a pigskin's toss away, twenty young gentlemen representing the financial activities of the University thought it high time to play a little baseball. One might argue that the baseball season has gone into its annual hibernation, but things are slow to catch on on the west side of the Charles.

Far be it from the intention of this observer to wax political, but it was rather fitting that the future financial leaders of the country should meet the representatives of the government on a competitive basis. Big Business and the New Deal have hardly been the best of friends during the past decade. But there were no hard feelings on the diamond yesterday; in fact, through an intricate series of walks, the Harbus hurler presented the Navy with dis first run in the opening minutes.

Following a brief session of cheers from the Navy stands which were answered from across the way by shouts of "Sink the Navy" (sabotage?), Captain McIntosh strode to the plate to bat out the first ball, the latter being thrown in by an equally high representative of the civiliau or home defense unit. In an auspicious manner, the Captain got a solid hit, which made a hit with everyone and should have warned the civilians of the things to come.

One of the finer examples of the great members of the armed forces by civilians came in the second inning when spirit of cooperation being shown the the Harbus second baseman made a nice stop of Vander Eb's grounder, only to be taken out on the play before he could throw the ball to first by the shortstop; him as a gangling sophomors, this 6 foot 2 battering ram has been tearing up nice green gridirons. He's the right kind of guard to follow the Harlow-hidden ball today, and if he does, Crimson backs will be the losers. Doc Holloway is his running mate, and not far behind.

When the Revolution came along, William and Mary suspended for awhile, and its buildings, like Massachusetts Hall in Cambridge, was occupied by troops. But the war ended, and the college lived happily until it was destroyed by fire in 1859, Rebuilt, it was again fired, this time by Union soldiers during the--that is, the War between the States.

Tex Warrington at center is another old hand, and he'll be passing the pigskin back to some of the most accomplished backs in the business. Johnson is the big boy, of course, and he's plenty big. His own coach Voyles calls him a "back without a weakness," and that's going some. He's the man that beat both Dartmouth and Navy with field goals, and when he's not kicking he's usually furrowing opposing lines with All-American calibre running.

Never a very large college, W & M is now up to about 1500 students, both men and sweater girls. But it has a record of more distinguished graduates than almost any other college, and is the home of such features of American academic life as the honor system, electives, and Phi Beta Kappa, which was founded there in 1776